Friday, September 25, 2009

Ani DiFranco @ First Avenue

So I went to my first Ani concert on Sunday the 20th. I am now one of the initiated. Apparently, she doesn't like people singing along with her. And her daughter turned 2 this year. I learned lots about her from my expert friend!

The opening band, Gregory Alan Isakov, was too folksy for my tastes, but Mr. Isakov sounded talented. The rest of his band was pretty much just backing up his singer-songwriter act. They were a good lead-in to Ani herself.

And then she was on stage, and the crowd went crazy! I'll admit that I'm not an Ani-head, and didn't know many of the songs she played, but the setlist definitely improved as she went on. The first third was okay, the second third (when she started playing "new stuff") was great, and then the rest of the show built into a crescendo of energy and (dare I say it) fun! I really enjoyed her new stuff, as much of it was political and not talking about babies or being lovesick. I was able to forgive the one song about her daughter - I figured she earned a free pass on that one.

If only we weren't standing between the two girls who wouldn't stop talking to their friends in their annoying, high-pitched voices, the concert would have been even better. I loved the Amazon woman who finally told them off though - she was ready to start a fight if they didn't shut up, which I would have happily bore witness to. She talked shit to the tall ass guy who stood right in front of where her friend had been (getting drinks) too. Righteous! I didn't expect the threat of violence at an Ani concert, but I didn't expect so many straight-looking women either. All in all, a great show - Ani's presence was magnetic and her playing was super energetic. Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment