Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Idle Hands @ Concrete & Grass

I saw The Idle Hands at the Concrete and Grass festival in Mears Park, St. Paul, on Saturday, September 12. It was the second time I was in the audience in front of them, and frankly, their performance seemed weak. Ciaran, the lead singer, seemed to lose his breath and/or voice during every song. I wonder if it was a late Friday night? Also, the fact that they were so far from the crowd added to the lack of intimacy compared to their show at the 501 Club. I do have to give them some slack for playing the 1 pm time slot though. I was still fairly worthless by the time I managed to get there, so I can't imagine playing a full set.

The show was satisfactory. The music sounded good, and the laid back atmosphere matched the band's presentation. The chilled out dude in the lawn chair added a certain je-ne-sais-quoi, as did the homeless guy who looooooved the lead guitarist. (I'll admit, she is super hot.) Plus, she gave a shout out to the local farmers market while some technical issues were being worked out, which I respect. I just wish that the band had brought some CD's or something - when will they get a merch table together? I'd be happy to volunteer to work it. Don't quote me on that though.

All in all, as a fan of the group, it was an enjoyable performance. I imagine that The Idle Hands' upcoming evening performances will be of a higher quality. I highly recommend checking them out at the Ritz Theater on September 26, or *definitely* at the Uptown Bar on October 8. Let's give that ol' girl a fond farewell! She will be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment