Sunday, September 20, 2009

Good Looking Corpse @ Club Underground

So I'm not even sure if that's the name of the band my friend and I saw, but I couldn't understand a thing the guy said, so I had to guess based on the lineup. I realize that makes this review largely useless, but I felt the need to describe the scene anyway. Let me start by describing the venue, since I have much more to say about it than the music.

Club Underground is a small and intimate space in the basement of the Spring Street Tavern (355 Monroe St NE). You need to walk through the bar to get there; or at least we had to last night since the door labeled "Club Underground" was locked. Contrary to the pictures on the Spring Street Tavern website, it was not overrun with bikers last night. Some creepy old dudes, yes, but not bikers. I actually really enjoyed the club space - black walls, some leopard print around the stage, some tables, and I think a couch against the back wall, although that might be the "VIP" section. (Band members only?) The low ceiling and low lighting made for a great atmosphere. Plus, the DJ between sets had a pleasingly eclectic and varied selection of music.

And then there was the music. We got there near the end of the first band's set - were they called Canada? - and the singer was pissed that there were less than 20 people in the audience. I didn't form much of an opinion of the band, although I did notice that the drummer looked like a heavier version of the guy in The Hangover who married the stripper. Then the next band started tuning up, and we just looked at each other and knew we would leave quickly. Good Looking Corpse, if that is their name, plays heavy metal. Although almost the entire band was attractive - guitarist and singer especially - I stopped headbanging after 8th grade. So we stayed for one song and then went to the patio for a cigarette, never to return.

Was it a waste of $5? I say no. Although the music wasn't to my taste, I will keep an eye on the calendar and see if they have any good lineups in the future. How about this, Club Underground: Grey Skies, Mercurial Rage, and The Idle Hands. I would pretty much promote the show for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment