Monday, September 28, 2009

Built to Spill @ First Avenue

Built to Spill played at First Avenue last Thursday the 24th, and needless to say, I was in attendance. The 5:30 doors confused me greatly, but I guess that's when an 18+ show starts these days. I can't remember that far back personally, so I'll have to assume that's the norm.

A band (from Sweden, according to a Facebook friend) called Disco Doom opened the show. I thought they were a good musical match to B2S, with jamming, flowing guitars, and interesting drums. I couldn't hear what they were singing, but maybe I wouldn't have understood anyway. The only thing that caught me up was the chick's haircut - I couldn't tell if she was old, or just needed a better 'do. I do not know what instrument was sitting on top of the box that looked surprised, and I suspect I never will. It looked to me like it was played in a similar manner to a crystal wine glass with water in it.

Of course, when Built to Spill came on, the energy picked up in the room. Unfortunately, I was *once again* directly in front of the screamers at the show. This time, they really really wanted them to play "Come Over." Finally I suggested to the guy next to me that they try "Shut Up." Everyone around us agreed. Doug Martsch told us later that they were changing up the setlist, and it was confirmed after the show that we all hoped it was so they would NOT play "Come Over."

Needless to say, the music was great, although I think the sound guys could have given Doug more on the mic. My favorites were scattered throughout the show, seeing as I didn't have the foresight to listen to every album the week beforehand (what a fool am I!). Pretty Little Miss, Time Trap, Carry the Zero... awesome. PLUS, I don't know if this is on an album or not, but they also played a version of "Oh! Sweet Nothin" that pretty much made my pants wet. It totally blew me away to hear a synthesis of two of my favorite bands in one amazing song.

The night was going perfectly until I had to dodge this crazy guy and then fell *up* the stairs. Not a great merch selection either, but it was still well worth it. If only they would play another Shamrock-type outdoor festival next summer - I think Doug's music travels best in fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment